Dean Zenie had been the coach at the Riverdale, New York, school for the past two seasons. There has not yet been an announcement from Mount St. Vincent, but there is a job posting on the college website. The College of Mount St. Vincent began competition in the 2012-2013 season and struggled to gain footing with a part time coach. Zenie came on board in 2015 as the first full time head coach, and the roster last season had 15 wrestlers who competed in at least one match. See below for the position description and application information.
The College of Mount Saint Vincent is an academically excellent, authentically inclusive, Catholic and ecumenical liberal arts college with approximately 1,500 undergraduate students and 300 graduate students, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, New York City. Our beautiful 70-acre campus of rolling lawns and wooded hills overlooking the Hudson River is just 12 miles from midtown Manhattan.
Founded by the Sisters of Charity of New York, the College of Mount Saint Vincent is an academically excellent, authentically inclusive, independent liberal arts college. Committed to the Catholic tradition and ecumenism, the College combines a strong core curriculum with a full array of majors in the liberal arts and, within the tradition of liberal education, selected professional fields of study. The Department of Athletics seeks to provide a student’s education that extends beyond knowledge, skills and preparation for work. We seek the development of the whole person. In the spirit of Vincent de Paul and Elizabeth Ann Seton, the Department of Athletics believes that building relationships and respect for others will lead to team unity, cohesiveness, confidence, and better human relations. We seek to foster an understanding of our common humanity, a commitment to human dignity, and a full appreciation of our obligations to each other.
Responsibilities: Assistant Athletic Director for Operations and Facilities
- Primary point of contact with the Department of Facilities, Department of Campus Events Office of Student life and 14 varsity athletic teams to coordinate all facility spaces in Peter J. Sharp – main gym, auxiliary gym, fitness center, dance studio, conference room – Marillac field and Faye field
- Manages and coordinates all maintenance needs for athletic indoor/outdoor spaces with Facilities Department
- Partners with the Office of Campus Events staff to fulfill outside requests for use of athletic facilities
- Coordinates logistical support for all intercollegiate events (tables, athletic concessions, banners, special event set-ups, etc.)
- Works collaboratively with the Assistant Athletic Director for Business Operations to ensure facility set up for special events e.g. Hall of Fame, guest speakers etc.
- Primary contact for the Department of Atheltics off-campus field/facility rentals
- Collaborates with all head coaches to coordinate scheduling for all athletic home events and practices, both on, and off campus
- Oversees laundry room and create a plan display and inventory of uniforms and other official athletic gear
- Primary point of contact with SilverStar Limousine to coordinate transportation requests/changes for 14 collegiate athletic teams
- Coordinates athletic van schedule and usage
- Responsible for general maintenance and upkeep of athletic vans including regular inspections, cleaning, routine maintenance, etc.
- Maintains and updates athletic calendars for all events and facilities
- Coordinates with campus events, campus operations to ensure facilities are maintained and updated as needed and that all space rental requests are met as best as possible
- Game management duties as assigned by the Associate Athletic Directors
Responsibilities: Head Wrestling Coach
- Provides leadership and supervision in all aspects of the Wrestling Program, including but not limited to scheduling, recruitment, retention, academic support, practice preparation, game strategy, alumnae/i development, fundraising, and community service
- Recruits student athletes who meet the College’s admission requirements. Meets annual recruitment goals as developed annually by the Director of Athletics and Assistant Athletic Director/Admissions Liaison
- Coordinates and outlines a complete recruiting agenda within recruiting budget, to identify quality student athletes
- Full participation in monthly staff meetings, attendance at annual open house, Accepted Students Day and Division III celebration week activities
- Mandatory attendance at all monthly staff meetings, admission open houses, and scheduled orientations
- Ensures compliance with all College, Skyline Conference, and NCAA rules and regulations related to recruiting and academic monitoring for student athletes
- Collaborates with the Sports Information Director for the positive promotion of the Wrestling Program. Areas included should be individual and team statistics, media guides, reports to NCAA, individual accolades on and off the field and website updates
- Ensures that Department of Athletics and College regulations are understood by and complied with by student athletes and coaching staff
- Works closely with the Department of Athletics in any fundraising activities that assist with wrestling program and/or the department in general
- Monitors the academic status of student athletes
- Passes annual NCAA recruiting exam
- Coordinates a minimum of two (2) community outreach projects for the promotion of College of Mount Saint Vincent athletics
- Develops and manages an annual operating budget and oversee the purchasing, distribution, and collection of all equipment
- The Head Coach will also be responsible for working with the athletic and College staff to support the philosophy, goals, and mission of both the College and its’ athletic program.
- Displays a commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and ethical conduct as per the NCAA Constitution
- Works closely with Director of Athletics on long and short-term planning for the Wrestling Program
- Hires, supervises, and trains the Assistant Wrestling Coach(es) and team manager.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics and Recreation. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Current CPR/AED certification
- Minimum of two years’ experience at the collegiate level
- Strong knowledge of NCAA rules, regulations, and recruiting practices
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Valid driver’s license with proven driving record in good standing
- Availability on weekends and nights are essential
All qualified applicants are subject to a background check as part of the final approval process. Applicants must include a letter of application, resume and contact information for at least three references. Please send all application materials by email to HR@mountsaintvincent.edu.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the College of Mount Saint Vincent, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
College of Mount Saint Vincent is committed to provide equal opportunity, employment, and advancement opportunities to all individuals. The College of Mount Saint Vincent does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, State, or Local Laws.