SUNY Cortland is seeking a head wrestling coach to take over for Brad Bruhn who resigned this spring after 20 seasons leading the Red Dragons. Click the link below for the full description and to apply.
The head coach is responsible for all aspects of the Men’s Wrestling program, including, but not limited to: practice preparation, skill instruction, on-court coaching, player development, recruiting, budget management, team travel, scheduling, academic success and student-athlete welfare.
This is a full-time position with a 9.5-month (8/15-5/31) obligation.
Responsible for all matters pertaining to the total operation of the Men’s Wrestling program at SUNY Cortland.
- Maintain and/or build the sport program that is competitive at the conference level.
- Recruitment of student athletes: recruit student athletes in accordance with all applicable rules and regulations; recruit an adequate number of student athletes; and recruit student athletes of sufficient skill to maintain quality of the program.
- Retention of student athletes: assess academic performance of student athletes at least once each semester; ensure academic retention of student athletes minimally mirrors retention rate of the college.
- Demonstrate effective coaching through content knowledge, practice construction and execution, and the affective dimension (e.g., interpersonal interactions, enthusiasm, respect and rapport). Plan and coordinate effective team practices in preparation for competition; serve as game coach for each contest; instruct student athletes in physical health (strength, conditioning & skill training); instruct individual/team concepts, and safety.
- Administer the individual sport team budget throughout the academic year.
- Ensure that monies are appropriately spent and documented.
- Ensure all sport specific equipment and uniforms are: issued at beginning of each season, maintained throughout the season, collected and returned immediately at the end of the season, and inventoried on an annual basis.
- Ensure all documentation and paperwork is completed in a timely fashion.
- Ensure compliance with NCAA and SUNY Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) regulations and adhere to Department of Athletics Policies and Procedures.
- Represent the University in a professional and ethical manner consistent with SUNY Cortland mission, vision, values and campus priorities.
- Demonstrate continued growth and development in sport as demonstrated by continuing education, participation in professional organizations, enrollment in training programs, and research.
- Leadership development of staff and student athletes in the sport team.
- Effective management of coaching and support staff.
- Supervision of Facilities.
- Coordinate fundraising activities to support the program financially.