Thomas More College
Title: Wrestling Coach
Department: Athletic Department
Reports to: Athletic Director
It is expected that all of the duties and responsibilities of this position will be performed in a manner that reflects the core values of Thomas More College which include: sense of responsibility toward your fellow human beings, respect for life, adherence to social work ethics, respect for diversity, professionalism, and compassion.
The Wrestling Coach works with the Athletic Director to provide a quality program for athletes in a competitive Wrestling program. The Head Coach supervises the students, volunteers and any assistant wrestling coaches. The Head Coach ensures that students are provided a safe environment during practices and matches. The Head Coach monitors the academic progress of the athletes in the program, as well as instilling in the athletes the tenets of good sportsmanship both in competitions and throughout the school day.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills to work with various college constituencies.
• Strong organizational skills.
• The ability to work a flexible and irregular schedule, including nights and weekends.
• Works well as a team member or independently.
• Excels in prioritizing multiple tasks with attention to detail, problem solving and follow-through to consistently meet expectations and deadlines.
• Strong management skills and mentoring ability for interns and assistants.
Principal Duties & Activities
• Plan and supervise practice sessions.
• Complete and maintain proper paperwork as required by NCHSAA and local policies.
• Care for and maintain all equipment and uniforms.
• Be present for all Wrestling matches (afternoons, evenings and some weekends).
• Meet long term goals of the wrestling program.
• Work with Athletic Director to build a program for Wrestling.
• Communicate with parents, students, and administration.
• Has current knowledge of basic first aid.
• Supervises volunteers and any assistant coaches in the program.
• Monitors academic progress of students.
• Monitors behavior of the athletes both on and off the wrestling mat.
• Other duties as assigned by Athletic Director
Education, Specialized and/or Technical Knowledge Requirements
• Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s preferred.
• Experience in coaching intercollegiate wrestling desired.
• Computer literacy required.
Physical Job Requirements
Tools and Equipment Used
• Personal computer, copier, fax/scanner, phone, and other typical office equipment
• Minimal – less than 5% of the time
Physical & Mental Demands
• Frequently required to sit at a desk/workstation for long period of time
• Ability to work at a computer terminal for extended periods of time
• Digital dexterity and hand/eye coordination in operation of office equipment
• Light lifting and carrying of supplies, files, etc.
• Ability to speak to and hear employees/clients via phone or in person
• Body motor skills sufficient to enable incumbent to move around the office environment
• Ability to analyze data and other reports and make recommendations
• Mental requirements include: compare, decide, direct, problem solve, analyze, instruct, interpret
• Demonstration of drills