Millikin has another position open for this season. Read the description below and contact Head Coach Ryan Birt with questions.
Assistant Wrestling Coach Intern
Millikin University, a NCAA Division III member of the College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin (CCIW), is accepting nominations and applications for an Assistant Wrestling Coach Intern. Millikin University is a four-year undergraduate university with 2,100 full-time students enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Fine Arts, College of Professional Studies, and Tabor School of Business. Millikin is situated on an attractive seventy-acre campus in Decatur, IL (population of 85,000) 180 miles southwest of Chicago, 150 miles west of Indianapolis, and 120 miles northeast of St. Louis.
This position reports to the Head Wrestling Coach. This internship is designed as an educational experience from August 15 through July 15 and is designed to give an individual with an interest in coaching the opportunity to hone his or her skill development and coaching ability in one or more position areas. The current appointment is for 11 months, with a possible one year renewal. Pursuing a graduate degree at a nearby university may be possible. You may view a complete position description at www.millikin.edu/employment.
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references to millikin.edu/employment. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Employment and first day of work is contingent upon successful completion of background check. Millikin University is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Position Title: Assistant Wrestling Coach Intern
Reports to: Head Wrestling Coach
Works Closely with: Athletic Department Staff; Wrestling Team Members
Position Summary: This position will report to the Head Wrestling Coach. This internship is designed as a 11 month educational experience from August 15 to July 15 and is designed to give an individual with an interest in coaching the opportunity to hone his skill development and coaching ability in one or more position areas. The appointment is for one year, with a possible one year renewal. Pursuing a graduate degree at a nearby university may be possible.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
• Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
• Civil debate
• Passion and enthusiasm
• Dignity and respect for individuals
• A diverse and inclusive community
• Integrity and responsibility
• Advancement of the greater good
Primary Responsibilities – Intern Functions:
Under the guidance of the Head Wrestling Coach, the Intern will:
1. Learn the process for recruiting successful student athletes.
2. Assist in recruitment and retention of wrestling players for Millikin University.
3. Gain an understanding for the role of the student athlete in a DIII Athletic Program.
4. Develop skills to compete for a full time assistant coaching position or graduate assistantship.
5. Serve as a position coach.
6. Develop ability to monitor academic progress of student-athletes.
Under the guidance of the Athletic Director, the Intern will:
1. Have an opportunity to gain an understanding of the structure and organization of the NCAA, specifically Division III.
2. Have an opportunity to gain an understanding of the role of athletics in a relatively small comprehensive University.
3. Have an opportunity to gain exposure to athletic operations and event management beyond wrestling.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Collegiate playing experience preferred
• Strong interpersonal skills
The stipend for this 11-month internship is $5500, and also includes a $1500 food allowance and on-campus housing. This internship does not necessarily entitle the individual a paid position at the conclusion of the internship.